Saturday, October 24, 2009

Day 12 Mitford to Ovington Mission Accomplished





























Broadsword calling Danny Boy......... Broadsword calling Danny Boy.........Mission accomplished!!!!

The Northumbria Border Trek has been completed on schedule.

Well what a fantastic final day!

The team set off from Mitford around 8.15 picking up various people on the way and by the time they got to the Ponteland area there must have been around 25 people walking. The rain held off until early afternoon then absolutely soaked us all, never the less this didn't dampen spirits one jot. The lunchtime rest halt was at Jane's house in the Crescent where some lovely soup amongst other things were being handed out. More photos taken then onwards for the final push to Ovington. At one stage I found myself near the front following Pauline and she had such a head of steam on I thought we were about to start Jogging :-) Although it was quite wet and miserable at times the walk seemed to pass really quickly and in no time at all we were walking through the Whittle Dene up along the lonnen and into a great welcoming party for the Maidwell. Keith from Winships did a fantastic job with a drop of champers and free drinks for the walkers well done Keith. I don't know about anyone else but as Andy was going around shaking hands and kissing the girls I felt quite overwhelmed and emotional. I think the enormity of what the big man had achieved was just starting to sink in. I will be the the first to hold my hand up and say I thought he might have bitten of more than he could chew. I was wrong! The man has an inner strength of massive proportions to complete twelve days of long distance walking. Well done mate!

The day wasn't finished yet! We all gathered back at Winships for a celebration evening of fabulous food and fine wine. Many of the hardened walkers turned up very smartly dressed and everyone looked so fit glowing and well. The conversation and company was just the best and one of the best nights out I've personally had for a very long time.

Just before 23.00 Andy took to the floor and gave an account of the Trek which was both hilarious and moving, followed by his dad saying a few words in response.....Just brilliant!

The total on the just giving website is not far short of £10,000 for the NSPCC and I'm sure I heard a mention of an overall figure of £20,000 being raised? What an effort by all involved.

I think It just remains for me to say once again very very well done Andy a brilliant effort we are all so proud of you..........What next?

Click on this link and turn up your speakers for our piesta resistance http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/jw.wallis/AndySNorthumbriaTrek#5396535191030448386
Click on the link below and click slide show to see some photos supplied by Margaret Maidwell of the Saturday night at Winships.

Over and out from your Blog Master John Wallis x

No comments:

Post a Comment